Peru Menu Main Menu What's New Best of this Site Radio History Clandestine Radio

Radio Victoria, Peru


The following item was written by Hirotsugu Nabeshima and is taken from Edition #5 (1992) of LA DXing (page 40-41), as published by Radio Nuevo Mundo It is placed here with permission.

Radio Victoria is one of the old radio stations in Lima and their SW signal (6020 kHz OAX-4Q) was caught all over the world. The studios of Radio Victoria are located at the 4th floor of a building at famous street Av. Tacna 215, downtown Lima. In Lima, scale of radio stations is comparatively large and many stations have "Horario de Atencion" (office hour), which is from Monday to Friday, 09:00 to 17:00 normally. When you visit a radio station in Lima, it is recommended to try in the normal working hours, or you may be driven back. I visited their studios on March 9, 1989 to obtain a QSL.

History of the Station

In the period of World War II, Jose Eduardo Cavero, the founder of Radio Victoria, wanted to purchase a transmitter for a new radio station. There were two alternatives to obtain the transmitter: one is to import from abroad; the other is to buy domestically either new or used one. But it was, of course, impossible to import one during the war. He tried to buy an old equipment of "RCA" that Radio Castellano had been using, but this was not successful because the proprietor did not agree. He had to wait for the time to make his plan true.

The German firm "Telefunken" had been constructing a transmit­ting plant at Av. Argentina to inaugurate a radio station. When World War II was declared, all the German properties in Peru were confiscated. Nobody wanted to continue the plan any more except Jose Eduardo Cavero. He completed the unfinished installation with so much effort. There was no antenna. He ordered to construct an antenna tower made of wood. It was still impossible to obtain neces­sary steel because of the consequence of the war. The antenna was 100 meters high and was made of pine tree fastened with wire, as there were no cables available, either. All the equipment of the new radio station was arranged by Carlos Touzart del Solar, former em­ployee of Radio Nacional. Alfonso Pereyra, the engineer, supervised the process. The directors of the new radio station were Jose Eduardo Cavero Andrade, Laura Dubois de Cavero, Jaime Cavero and Oscar Cavero. The station was named "Radio Victoria" for the honor of the Allied Powers of the War. Appropriately the first theme from Symphony No. 5 of Beethoven was selected as the character of the station. Three short beats and one long one. "V" in Morse alphabet: "V" of Victory.

On April 9, 1944, Radio Victoria was inaugurated. "Lecuona Cuban Boys" from Cuba was invited to participate in the inauguration ceremony. Soon Radio Victoria became well-known for their contract: the radio station paid much money, even to be called "the mil­lionaire". In effect, they had very good artists for programs and kept excellent announcers and staff, who came from the other radio stations for the lure of a well-paid job. In 1950, 14 radio stations existed in Lima. Young radio stations at that time like Radio Central, Radio Mundial, Radio Ambrica and Radio Victoria, dominated the major part of the audience. The announcers and staff of radio stations at that time were not always working for the same station: Juan Silva Villacorta first worked at Radio Lima, then at Radio Central, at Radio America and finally at Radio Victoria; Carlos Alfonso Delgado began his career in Radio Internacional, soon succeeded in Radio Amdrica and came to Radio Victoria; Juan Ramirez Lazo began his work at Radio Huacho, next worked at Radio Central with his brother Fidel, at Radio Excelsior, at Radio Victoria and now he is a station manager of Radio Cora.

Radio stations generally begin a day's broadcast with Andean music and then plays morning news as 'noticiosos", "informati­vos", "reporters", "radioperiodicos" or "boletines". In 1950's, the most popular news pro­grams were "El Re­porter Esso" of Ra­dio America and "Radioperiodico ElMundo" of Radio Vic­toria. The former was broadcasted 4 times daily, in a style of newspaper carrier, picked up stiff news with a brief commentary. The latter was on the air at 07:30 a.m. every morning, in a com­pletely opposite style to the former: what the public was interested in were the editorial commentary and its point of view. Jose Eduardo Cavero, the owner, wrote the commentary and Juan Ramirez Lazo read it in the program. "Nos preocupa..." ("We are worried...") was the phrase with which the people in Lima woke up. The news then was gen­erally much controLled by the government, but "Radioperi6dico El Mundo" made a comment on all the topics: from the smallest and per­sonal misfortune to the biggest problem that all the Peruvians were worried about. This sometimes drove ministers and even the President into a corner.

Station Personnel as of March 1989 Gerente General: - Santiago Salcedo Gutierrez
Gerente de Programación: - Yolvi Traverso
Secretaria: - Ana Mendoza Corso
Locutores: - Hugo Almanza Duran, Hugo Almanza Rosado, José Quiros, German Villalobos

Bibliography: "0-A-X Cronica de la Radio en el Perú (1925-1980) by Alonso Alegria/Radioprogramas Editores, Lima, Perú. 1988


This website is maintained by Don Moore,
Association of North American Radio Clubs
DXer of the Year for 1995

My Address Is In This Graphic